IF YOU ARE STILL SEEING THIS OLD FORUM, THEN YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR LINK!!!!
IF YOU ARE STILL SEEING THIS OLD FORUM, THEN YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR LINK!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-New Posties-

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

how the hell do you tell the difference???

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Troylee

Troylee

how the hell do you tell the difference??? Empty
PostSubject: how the hell do you tell the difference???   how the hell do you tell the difference??? Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 5:02 pm

how do you id a prostrata from a mili??? i have both and side by side i see no differences besides the color lol....
Back to top Go down
DML08

DML08

PostSubject: Re: how the hell do you tell the difference???   how the hell do you tell the difference??? Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 5:08 pm

coralite structure... postrata has a bigger "lip".. I think thats what its called???
Back to top Go down
Kraylen
Admin
Kraylen

PostSubject: Re: how the hell do you tell the difference???   how the hell do you tell the difference??? Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 5:10 pm

I've also wondered the same... plenty of milli around but not enough prostrata to compare for me. I actually have no prostrata I believe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reefersanonymous.net
DML08

DML08

PostSubject: Re: how the hell do you tell the difference???   how the hell do you tell the difference??? Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 5:13 pm

I have a bubble gum prostrata.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kraylen
Admin
Kraylen

PostSubject: Re: how the hell do you tell the difference???   how the hell do you tell the difference??? Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 5:13 pm

mmmm.... sounds delicious.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reefersanonymous.net
mpoletti

mpoletti

PostSubject: Re: how the hell do you tell the difference???   how the hell do you tell the difference??? Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 6:23 pm

There is also the argument that there has never been a true millepora imported until the Aussie ones were being imported, but thats something totally different. ID'ing corals more than a generation in captivity is almost impossible due to our staged environments.

I'm with D though Wink
Back to top Go down
Troylee

Troylee

PostSubject: Re: how the hell do you tell the difference???   how the hell do you tell the difference??? Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 6:25 pm

Hmmmm I wish I could a good enough pic to show mine.... Damn it..
Back to top Go down
JW

JW

PostSubject: Re: how the hell do you tell the difference???   how the hell do you tell the difference??? Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 3:12 pm

I have been trying to figure this out as well recently.. I would take Veron's word for it...

Both corals are "very similar as described within the three volume Corals of the World book set by Veron. The prostrata species however tends to develop 'thin elongate branches' while the millepora species has 'short uniform branches'."

from http://www.reefland.com/forum/reef-aquariums/10201-millepora.html

Also I found this:

"The Veron book says that A. prostrata can be differentiated from A. millepora by the size of the radial coralites. In prostrata the coralites are all of uniform size, but millepora has coralites of varying sizes on the same branch. "

from http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?8658-Millepora-X-Acropora-Millepora-X-Acropora-Prostrata-X-Fire-Coral&p=89199

Keep in mind, these are not taken directly from Veron's books. I do have limited access to the books though, and will try to confirm this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how the hell do you tell the difference???   how the hell do you tell the difference??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how the hell do you tell the difference???
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Showroom :: General Reef-
Jump to: