IF YOU ARE STILL SEEING THIS OLD FORUM, THEN YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR LINK!!!!
IF YOU ARE STILL SEEING THIS OLD FORUM, THEN YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR LINK!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-New Posties-

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Blastin' Plasmas

Go down 
+4
DML08
Kraylen
JW
jestersix
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jestersix

jestersix

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 3:50 pm

Just to get a spot in line...

Not so great FTS at 50% lighting and a couple of top down shot from last night

Blastin' Plasmas 048

Blastin' Plasmas 022

Blastin' Plasmas 024-1
Back to top Go down
JW

JW

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 5:01 pm

looking great! Do you have a dimmer hooked up? What brand of plasmas are those?
Back to top Go down
Kraylen
Admin
Kraylen

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 5:54 pm

*throws LEDs away*
Back to top Go down
http://www.reefersanonymous.net
JW

JW

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 6:33 pm

durp. excuse the ignorance. Wow.. only 50%.. have you tested your PAR?
Back to top Go down
Kraylen
Admin
Kraylen

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 7:08 pm

OMG PAR whats the PARR OMG

My one reef brite prolly has like 50 "par" on the bottom... who gives a fuck about PAR.. that's the same as "It's got 587 horses" ... but.. can you fucking drive it?

Everyone wants to overkill on the light... lesson learned from the 55g, if you blaze high light you may have a hard time keeping lower light awesomeness.

However acro dominated tanks and what not that are wall to wall acros and some others are exceptions IMO... however 1600w of MH + sups on a 120-180g is just insane. Blastin' Plasmas 52970
Back to top Go down
DML08

DML08

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 7:12 pm

Back to top Go down
mpoletti

mpoletti

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 8:00 pm

Very nice. Plasmas will definitely be an option in the future. Glad to see a tank with them so early in the game.
Back to top Go down
Troylee

Troylee

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 8:14 pm

Nice... Damn those things are bright!!!! Looks like they have nice spread also..
Back to top Go down
JW

JW

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 11:08 pm

Thanks Dom.
Back to top Go down
jestersix

jestersix

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/6/2010, 11:46 am

Thanks for the assist Dom! Saves me from posting the crappy PAR pics here...

Let's see...these are Stray Light Optical's Seashine Plasmas - 290W each. They use the same dimmer/driver as most LEDs. I'm using the Reefkeeper Lite with ALC module to handle the dimming function. Right side comes on first, an hour later the left side...then dimming in the evening right side then left side. Light cycle starts at 7AM and ends at 8:30PM.

Lights can dim from 100% down to 20%. At 100% you get about 97% color rendition which means it looks just about like natural sunlight. I like it without all the blue personally, but we are going to add a 48" Reefbrite all blue for evening viewing, because it is fun to have the corals "pop" a bit! AT 20% the ligt looks like a nice 14k, almost a 20K.

A couple more pics

Blastin' Plasmas DSC00944

Blastin' Plasmas DSC00946

Blastin' Plasmas 133
Back to top Go down
jestersix

jestersix

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/10/2010, 10:03 am

The clams love the plasma lights.The smaller blue clam was only about 2 inches when we picked it up - now almost 6 inches! The Acans are just now starting to adjust to the lighting - I've been moving them a bit to try and find the right spot, seems like they are starting to color up and seeing some new heads growing. Finally!!

I love these lights, but it is new territory. My Millis love it, the clams eat up the PAR and the RBTAs are doing great. My opther SPS and LPS seem to take a bit more work trying to find out what makes them happy. I have charted the PAR all over the tank so I can track what does well where. Of course, the tank is only about 2 months ld, so it will be a while before it really settles in. Frags are growing out, so give it a couple of years and hopefully all will be rocking!!

THese shots are with the lights at 100%

Blastin' Plasmas 033

Blastin' Plasmas 025-1

Blastin' Plasmas 006

Blastin' Plasmas 001-3
Back to top Go down
Kraylen
Admin
Kraylen

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/10/2010, 12:05 pm

The last shot is dopeeeee looking man!
Back to top Go down
jestersix

jestersix

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/10/2010, 1:28 pm

Thanks Kray! The shot from is upstairs, one of my favorite places to watch the tank. Usually when I'm up there in the evening I take the screens off.
Back to top Go down
hwntunda

hwntunda

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/12/2010, 4:19 pm

great shots!
Back to top Go down
jestersix

jestersix

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/20/2010, 12:40 pm

Oh yeah, picked up a 48" all blue Reef Brite strip for the tank - makes the tank look like a black light poster! It is not very noticeable with the plasmas at full bore, but we bought it to show off the colors when folks come over to see the tank. I'll try and get some pics this weekend.

A couple people have asked about the coverage with the plasmas. This pic is with the lights at about 35%, with only the left side on. From the center of the light to the left side of the tank is 28 inches...

Blastin' Plasmas 001-4

For all the zombies...

Blastin' Plasmas 015

And this one just because I like my Scolies...

Blastin' Plasmas 010-2

Back to top Go down
hwntunda

hwntunda

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/20/2010, 1:38 pm

wow only 35%!... thats a nice spread!! sweet man
Back to top Go down
jestersix

jestersix

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/20/2010, 1:48 pm

Spread really doesn't change with the ramp up, just intensity. I used that pic because it makes the light pattern really obvious with the dark edges.
Back to top Go down
hwntunda

hwntunda

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/20/2010, 1:58 pm

hows the cost of running them compared to MH?
Back to top Go down
jestersix

jestersix

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/20/2010, 3:29 pm

They are each pulling 290 watts at full power. Light like a 400W MH on steroids and uses electricity like a 250W MH.
Back to top Go down
hwntunda

hwntunda

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/21/2010, 3:57 am

definately going to look into getting these!
Back to top Go down
jestersix

jestersix

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/23/2010, 2:32 pm

After the BAR swap I went by to check out Neptune's (What a great shop! Another reason I miss living in the Bay Area)- Robert had a 48" Reefbrite all blue...so we added some blue. Got to meet Kray and torture myself over all of the things I didn't get to come home with. Just running them in the evenings and for visitors to add some pop. Using the Sony pocket cam we get this horrid over saturated shot, but you get the idea:

Blastin' Plasmas 019
Back to top Go down
agent462
agent462

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/23/2010, 3:20 pm

Now that is cool!

Back to top Go down
jestersix

jestersix

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/23/2010, 3:51 pm

It looks like a freakin' black light poster when it is just the LEDs. Crazy how much light the strip puts out. Of course you hardly see it when the plasmas are blasting .
Back to top Go down
hwntunda

hwntunda

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime8/23/2010, 3:55 pm

sweet addition!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Blastin' Plasmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blastin' Plasmas   Blastin' Plasmas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blastin' Plasmas
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Showroom :: The Showtank Showdown-
Jump to: