IF YOU ARE STILL SEEING THIS OLD FORUM, THEN YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR LINK!!!!
IF YOU ARE STILL SEEING THIS OLD FORUM, THEN YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR LINK!!!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

-New Posties-

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fraging= New growth..

Go down 
+7
jestersix
Roc
Troylee
KWG101
skinz78
Kraylen
DML08
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DML08

DML08

Fraging= New growth.. Empty
PostSubject: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime7/31/2010, 12:49 pm

just want to share some pics of a lil Experiment I was trying.. the test coral is a Palau Acro, when I got it, it was only 1.5'' and 1 growing tip, a buddy wanted a frag so I hooked him up with a slice.. after that another branch shot off to the side, I fragged that one for another Friend, that when I noticed things where starting to take off.. Here are some pics that I have been taking the last few months..

5-2-10
Fraging= New growth.. Tank008-1-1

5-30-10
Bad pic.. polyps were fully expanded on this one..
Fraging= New growth.. DSC_0012-1

6-15-10
Fraging= New growth.. DSC_0010

7-23-10
Fraging= New growth.. DSC_0003-3

Back to top Go down
Kraylen
Admin
Kraylen

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime7/31/2010, 1:12 pm

Makes me think of plants when they take off after clipping Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.reefersanonymous.net
DML08

DML08

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime7/31/2010, 1:18 pm

HEHE.. that's what inspired me..
Back to top Go down
skinz78

skinz78

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime7/31/2010, 1:29 pm

I am fairly new with SPS, I have had many before but successfully killed them.... Now for some reason I am having really good luck with my current frags. Is it true that the smaller frags actually grow faster?
Back to top Go down
http://www.reef-geeks.com
KWG101

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime7/31/2010, 1:38 pm

pretty frags
Back to top Go down
Kraylen
Admin
Kraylen

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime7/31/2010, 2:54 pm

skinz78 wrote:
I am fairly new with SPS, I have had many before but successfully killed them.... Now for some reason I am having really good luck with my current frags. Is it true that the smaller frags actually grow faster?

Nope, you just notice the growth more in most cases I believe since you are watching something small grow.
Back to top Go down
Troylee

Troylee

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime7/31/2010, 4:47 pm

man does that acro have white polyps or green?? they look different in a couple pics....
i have a huge colony of that thing i have been trying to id.... i thought it was mili lol...
mine has a mettalic green base with pink coralites and bluish purple tips.... all white polpys thou.....
Back to top Go down
DML08

DML08

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime7/31/2010, 8:52 pm

this is where I got it from..
http://www.exoticfrags.us/corals.php?&c=122
Back to top Go down
Roc

Roc

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime8/1/2010, 8:34 am

skinz78 wrote:

I actualy think this is the biggest misconception going, in fact super small frags quite often die, the best growing is seen on frags that have encrusted and then are pruned.
Back to top Go down
http://www.komplexrecords.com
jestersix

jestersix

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime8/2/2010, 2:49 pm

Hey Dom! That is a sweet piece - hardly a frag anymore, can you say "mini colony"?
Back to top Go down
mpoletti

mpoletti

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime8/2/2010, 4:55 pm

I guess I'm new to the game, but I do not believe that clipping corals promotes new growth, Maybe that is why my tank never grows Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DML08

DML08

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime8/2/2010, 6:02 pm

Maybe not.. but I was surprised to see all the new growth tips that popped up after the main tip was cut.. Na mean??.. I could be wrong though..
Back to top Go down
mpoletti

mpoletti

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime8/2/2010, 6:28 pm

Corals regenerate...that we know. So if you cut off a frag, its gonna regrow. I would rather let the coral use that energy in expanding its surface area rather than using it to heal and recovery. I'm just stating my personal experience and knowledge. There are too many variables to actually KNOW if either way is the case Wink
Back to top Go down
DML08

DML08

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime8/2/2010, 7:44 pm

Gottcha.. your experience and knowledge is far greater then mine that's for sure..
Back to top Go down
mpoletti

mpoletti

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime8/2/2010, 8:13 pm

DML08 wrote:
Gottcha.. your experience and knowledge is far greater then mine that's for sure..

Whatever...I don't have any milli madness so I know nothing Sad
Back to top Go down
Kraylen
Admin
Kraylen

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime8/2/2010, 8:18 pm

You're not missing much Mark.. haha.. nah, when mine turned purple it will be coolies.
Back to top Go down
DML08

DML08

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime8/2/2010, 8:22 pm

Mark , I have a big Frag for ya if you want it.. I hook up Homies.. Trades are awesome but not necessary..
Back to top Go down
gabe_j

gabe_j

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime8/3/2010, 5:27 am

ok that is some nice growth in 2 months man! great colors too
Back to top Go down
JW

JW

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime8/9/2010, 3:52 am

Great looking piece Dom.
I have heard of this method before. I've been told by one experienced aquarist that it will stimulate new growth/branching. We recently used a similar method that you described on an Acro's enrusting base which was taking forever to branch out. After the piece got a few growth tips pruned, it started branching all over the base. It was clear to me that the 'pruning' stimulated the new growth.

Without doing side by side comparisons, its hard to know just how fragging will affect a colonies' growth rate and shape etc. Maybe the piece I mentioned above would have branched on it's own...

None the less. I think this is a a cool topic to discuss.
Back to top Go down
JW

JW

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime8/9/2010, 4:22 am

skinz78 wrote:

I think smaller frags will acclimate to new surroundings much easier than larger pieces. That way the frag can grow out into the available flow and light. Roc has a good point though- tiny frags (aka boogers) rarely show good growth.

Unless you have a stable tank with great lighting/flow, keeping a larger piece in good health is not always easy. Then again, larger frags have more surface area, so it's a trade off.
Back to top Go down
Roc

Roc

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime8/9/2010, 8:19 am

mpoletti wrote:
Corals regenerate...that we know. So if you cut off a frag, its gonna regrow. I would rather let the coral use that energy in expanding its surface area rather than using it to heal and recovery. I'm just stating my personal experience and knowledge. There are too many variables to actually KNOW if either way is the case Wink

What I have experienced is a large colony that has a branch cut off will use it's energy to grow several new branches in the place of the single branch, this is similar to "topping" that you can do on plants like roses and weed to get a large bush instead of a tall tree.

I guess it's all about what you want in the tank.
Back to top Go down
http://www.komplexrecords.com
mpoletti

mpoletti

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime8/9/2010, 4:05 pm

Roc wrote:
this is similar to "topping" that you can do on plants like roses and weed to get a large bush instead of a tall tree.

I'm also very familiar with the sort of "topping" that you are speaking of; especially from my college years Wink
Back to top Go down
mpoletti

mpoletti

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime8/9/2010, 4:08 pm

DML08 wrote:
just want to share some pics of a lil Experiment I was trying.. the test coral is a Palau Acro, when I got it, it was only 1.5'' and 1 growing tip, a buddy wanted a frag so I hooked him up with a slice.. after that another branch shot off to the side, I fragged that one for another Friend, that when I noticed things where starting to take off.. Here are some pics that I have been taking the last few months..

5-2-10
Fraging= New growth.. Tank008-1-1

5-30-10
Bad pic.. polyps were fully expanded on this one..
Fraging= New growth.. DSC_0012-1

6-15-10
Fraging= New growth.. DSC_0010

7-23-10
Fraging= New growth.. DSC_0003-3

BTW, what is the cool lime acro with pink coralites?
Back to top Go down
Kraylen
Admin
Kraylen

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime8/9/2010, 4:23 pm

Shades of fall maybe?
Back to top Go down
hwntunda

hwntunda

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime8/19/2010, 4:13 am

great shots! that is some awesome growth!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fraging= New growth..   Fraging= New growth.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fraging= New growth..
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Coral Propagation :: Propagation Discussion-
Jump to: