IF YOU ARE STILL SEEING THIS OLD FORUM, THEN YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR LINK!!!!

-New Posties-

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Stop poor propagation tactics

Go down 
AuthorMessage
agent462

PostSubject: Stop poor propagation tactics   8/14/2010, 10:02 pm

It was mpoletti that said "Friends don't let friends accept super duper tiny frags". As funny as the statement is, it should be true but at times unavoidable.

There are really only three scenarios you usually obtain a frag. You either buy, trade or receive a frag for free. This statement should hold through to every scenario. Some may argue that "free is free" or as long as you are aware of the size of the frag before the trade or purchase it's acceptable. I've even been caught saying the latter. It's never acceptable when I sit here and think about.

I guess I need to state why small/tiny frags are bad. In general, it's widely agreed upon that the smaller the frag the worse chance of survival it has. That's not to say a large frag or colony can't die but tiny/small frags tend to have worse survival rate. Your tank parameters are NEVER the same as where the frag is coming from (unless your'e trading/selling to yourself which is odd). Tank parameters include but are not limited to flow, lighting, water quality, PH, salinity, etc. The quality and health of the frag is what makes it survive in your tank.

Now I can explain why it's a poor choice to accept a tiny frag regardless if you were aware or not. This promotes poor propagation tactics. Although we have reefs for enjoyment we are also responsible for these living things. The future reefs in the ocean and in our tanks rely on good propagation tactics. Coral are living, sensitive organisms. It's our job to encourage good propagation tactics. By accepting tiny frags you are encouraging vendors and individuals to keep this poor tactic.

Sadly some people don't care. Roughly 5 months ago I received the frag posted below. According to the vendor "All of our frags are also stated as 1 eye 1/2-3/4 inches." Well you can clearly see that is nowhere near. I provided the following photos and I didn't get much more than a sorry. The sad part is that 5 months later with little to no growth this frag died. Regardless of how long I had this it had little chance from the start.

The moral of all of this is stop accepting small frags. Call vendors out on it. Demand your money back. Dispute your payment. Stop poor propagation tactics.

The size of frag is different depending on the type of coral. I'm not going to try and dictate a size. That's for you to decide.

Back to top Go down
Troylee

PostSubject: Re: Stop poor propagation tactics   8/14/2010, 10:07 pm

Ahmen!!!!! As rev would say lol....
Love it man great read... Just got to spread the word now...Wink
Back to top Go down
revhtree

PostSubject: Re: Stop poor propagation tactics   8/14/2010, 10:39 pm

I say Amen not Ahmen..:HA!
Back to top Go down
Troylee

PostSubject: Re: Stop poor propagation tactics   8/14/2010, 10:40 pm

Ah I see said the blind man...lmfao!!!
Back to top Go down
moto826

PostSubject: Re: Stop poor propagation tactics   8/14/2010, 11:20 pm

I hope that was a cheep one dam that's small
Back to top Go down
wootwoot

PostSubject: Re: Stop poor propagation tactics   8/15/2010, 1:46 am

Good read, well said.!
Back to top Go down
hwntunda

PostSubject: Re: Stop poor propagation tactics   8/15/2010, 12:01 pm

damn thats small! id never show myself again if i sold something like that, or even give away a tiny booger like that!, which i never would!!! shit the seller must disappoint women when they get in bed too!!! hahahaha...
Back to top Go down
gr808

PostSubject: Re: Stop poor propagation tactics   8/16/2010, 10:17 pm

hwntunda wrote:
damn thats small! id never show myself again if i sold something like that, or even give away a tiny booger like that!, which i never would!!! shit the seller must disappoint women when they get in bed too!!! hahahaha...

hahaha.!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMFAO!!
Back to top Go down
agent462

PostSubject: Re: Stop poor propagation tactics   8/16/2010, 10:38 pm

The sad thing is that it's just not one vendor or individual. This is what this hobby is turning into. I get that items are LE and some things can be really slow growers but a practice that is producing this poor of quality needs to stop. If you have to grow it out another 6 months for the frags to be decent size, then the price should reflect that. Just don't sell me a dollar store frag for bling bling. Don't lie about advertised size. Stop poor propagation tactics that give these living organisms low chance of survival.
Back to top Go down
hwntunda

PostSubject: Re: Stop poor propagation tactics   8/17/2010, 12:34 am

I totally agree! I think a lot of newbies will discouraged by this type of propagation, and sales!
Back to top Go down
DML08

PostSubject: Re: Stop poor propagation tactics   8/17/2010, 7:33 pm

well said.. that would deserve a kick in the balls, and a eye poke..
Back to top Go down
wootwoot

PostSubject: Re: Stop poor propagation tactics   8/17/2010, 10:57 pm

Quote :
I totally agree! I think a lot of newbies will discouraged by this type of propagation, and sales!

As a newbie I can say that is exactly how I feel. It stops me from exploring new corals etc..

My tank is wonderful but getting into the really cool stuff is scary because o f the cost . some times dealing with the LFS you can talk face to face with someone and try and build a working relationship with them. But you will never get the same experience when dealing with some one over the 'net. It is hard to network sometimes and learn who is trust worthy and someone who will say "thats not a good idea for your type of tank". Newbies rely on the extablished folks in the hobby to learn and get their hands wet. I have been screwed on animals a few times. So I stick with who I know and trust which is very few resources! Hopefully I will get to know folks here and learn a grip o shit off this board.
Back to top Go down
gr808

PostSubject: Re: Stop poor propagation tactics   8/17/2010, 11:36 pm

wootwoot wrote:

Quote :

As a newbie I can say that is exactly how I feel. It stops me from exploring new corals etc..

My tank is wonderful but getting into the really cool stuff is scary because o f the cost . some times dealing with the LFS you can talk face to face with someone and try and build a working relationship with them. But you will never get the same experience when dealing with some one over the 'net. It is hard to network sometimes and learn who is trust worthy and someone who will say "thats not a good idea for your type of tank". Newbies rely on the extablished folks in the hobby to learn and get their hands wet. I have been screwed on animals a few times. So I stick with who I know and trust which is very few resources! Hopefully I will get to know folks here and learn a grip o shit off this board.

well spoken and I feel for u man... ur exactly right. I'm a newbie as well and when getting started u don't realize how much this hobby will cost u until u see how much the livestock is.. Of course that is after u spend fucken scripts on the equipment. Luckily for the hobby, there are alot of really great people out there willing to help newbies out for the love of the hobby and not just to make $$$.. big ups to those willing to lend out a hand!!!
Back to top Go down
bayreefer

PostSubject: Re: Stop poor propagation tactics   8/18/2010, 12:09 am

wootwoot wrote:

Quote :

Ordering online is a gamble from the jump and to be fucked off by a vendor is just fucked and if I received a piece the size Bryan received I would be fuckin pissed too.This thread is good for us hobbyist as a whole whether your a wootwoot or a mpoletti.If I was a vendor,as a business man I would want repeat customers no doubt about it and if I had a unsatisfied customer like this case here I would do whatever the fuck it takes to make it right and that would be more rewarding in the end for my business all the way around.Vendors need to realize that they need us,we dont need them because there are 100's of more vendors out there that sell the exact same shit there sellin.
Back to top Go down
gr808

PostSubject: Re: Stop poor propagation tactics   8/18/2010, 12:35 am

so where did Bryan get that frag from???
Back to top Go down
hwntunda

PostSubject: Re: Stop poor propagation tactics   8/18/2010, 4:17 am

wootwoot wrote:

Quote :

well put and we all can understand where youre comming from! i wouldnt mind trying new places to buy, but i mainly stick with my usual sellers and folks with good if not great feedback or they are known to "love" their corals and this hobby! with being on here youll definately find out, whose the right ones to buy from and deal with! (NOT saying that anyone youre dealing with is not the good guys) but give you other options and recommendations bounce
Back to top Go down
hwntunda

PostSubject: Re: Stop poor propagation tactics   8/18/2010, 4:19 am

gr808 wrote:
so where did Bryan get that frag from???

i would to love to know also!, so i dont deal with them! please PM me with info, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stop poor propagation tactics   

Back to top Go down

Stop poor propagation tactics
Page 1 of 1